Saturday, March 9, 2013

Saturday Musings


Saturday. I love Saturday. Not in the way I used to, though. Saturday is much more sacred to me now. When I was younger it was because it was the day I got to do fun things, hang out with friends, not be in school, go shopping, etc. Saturday’s are still wonderful for those reasons, but I am truly beginning to understand the concept and necessity of the Sabbath now that I actually have reason to slow down and rest. It is incredibly easy for my work week to exhaust me to the point of dead laziness on Saturdays, but I want to work on using this day each week to please God with my time. I may not be at work, I may not be cooking or cleaning or running around being crazy-productive, but this is an excellent time to breathe deeply and meditate on what He has been trying to teach me throughout the past week. I want to use this day for this purpose so I can go to fellowship and learn on Sundays, open and ready to whatever God needs me to hear.

In other news in the world of the weekend. We have a friend visiting! Alex (my wonderful, handsome, stud of a husband) has his best friend from college visiting today and it’s really nice to catch up and have some company. The guys are out and about, and besides my thoughts on the Sabbath and resting, I also wanted to share an exquisite muffin recipe I just tried today. These are melt-in-your-mouth-give-me-more delicious. Especially when they’re warm, mmmhmm. Thanks to Pinterest, I took this recipe from Velvet Lava. She has many, many good words to say about these muffins, so I was left with no choice. And we happened to have all the ingredients in the pantry already. Even better! The guys were playing chess so away I went.

French Breakfast Muffins

1/3 c. butter, melted
1/2 c. sugar
1 egg (preferably room temperature)
1 ½ c. all purpose flour
1 ½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. nutmeg
½ c. milk

Topping
½ c. sugar
½ c. butter, melted
1 tsp. cinnamon

In a medium-large bowl, sift together all dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients and stir just until combined, but still a bit lumpy. Do NOT overmix; scoop batter into muffin tins that have sprayed with cooking spray. Using a large spoon, I got 9 medium-large muffin out of this batter; I think you could get 10-12 smaller muffins by distributing the batter a little less generously. Bake for 20-25 minutes (mine were done in 18 minutes), or until they just start to turn a bit golden at the edges.

Yes! These are incredible. I don’t think the picture of my finished product does them justice.  These were really easy to make and the boys loved them too! My favorite part is it resulted in minimal dishes/clean up because they were so simple to make. So make them!



Lastly, a verse I have been meditating on the last couple of days. This verse speaks volumes about the kind of women we should be as Christ followers and just a really good reminder of who God is calling me to be as a woman, and a wife.

Titus 2:2-5 
Older men are to be sober-minded, dignified, self-controlled, sound in faith, in love, and in steadfastness. Older women likewise are to be reverent in behavior, not slanderers or slaves to much wine. They are to teach what is good, and so train the young women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled, pure, working at home, kind, and submissive to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be reviled


0 comments:

Post a Comment